Trusted Personal Injury Lawyer in Dallas
When your injury is caused by the carelessness of another, a Dallas personal injury lawyer will help you secure financial compensation so you may focus on recovering from the resulting injuries and damage suffered.
The aftermath of a devastating injury can be one of the most difficult moments of your life. A personal injury not only threatens your physical autonomy—it can harm your emotional and financial well-being, too.
Knowing someone else’s negligence is to blame for the cause of the accident only makes matters worse. Fortunately, with the help of legal representation with practical experience, you can forge a path to recovery. A Dallas personal injury lawyer from our law office will thoroughly investigate your case, collect usable evidence, and and negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf in order to help you secure the settlement you deserve for your accident-related losses.
Personal Injury Settlement Basics
An accident can happen anywhere, anytime. Maybe you find yourself on the receiving end of a motor vehicle collision on US Route 75 in Texas, or you suffer a slip-and-fall on a wet floor while visiting a high-end retailer on the north side of Dallas. In both cases, it’s the carelessness of another that causes your injuries and the accident that caused them.
Filing a personal injury claim against the party at fault in your accident could help you recover financial damages, either through an out-of-court settlement or by verdict and jury award. But investigating an accident, filing the paperwork, and negotiating a fair settlement is often difficult to handle for those unfamiliar with the process.
Insurance companies won’t hesitate to take advantage of your situation. Their priority is to protect their profits, and negotiations can be particularly stressful when you’re constantly getting lowballed. This can slow down your recovery and make for an overwhelming experience.
Stalling is one of the most common strategies utilized when dealing with accident victims, as they find themselves with no choice but to accept a settlement that won’t be sufficient to cover all expenses in the long run. Without proper guidance, it’s easy to be manipulated into committing a mistake that will hurt your claim.
That’s where the respected personal injury lawyers from Chris Lewis & Associates, P.C. will help. By providing you with the proactive, diligent legal representation you need, our attorneys will help you secure the maximum compensation possible. When you’re filing a personal injury claim in Dallas, you want the practical experience possessed by the legal consultants from the law office of Chris Lewis & Associates, P.C. in your corner protecting your rights.
There’s a high probability that insurers will explain how legal representation is a waste of your money and time. That’s because our lawyers know how to negotiate aggressively when evidence is ignored or time is wasted. It’s our priority to help you get justice so you can regain control of your life, and we always operate with your best interests in mind.
Common Types of Personal Injury Accidents in Texas
When you suffer a personal injury in an accident, more than your physical well-being can be negatively impacted. Getting access to the medical care you need can be costly in Dallas (or anywhere else in Texas), and spending time away from work during your accident recovery can put your finances at risk. And then there are the non-economic damages of personal injury, such as living with emotional trauma.
Accident victims can seek civil remedies from the people or entities responsible for the personal injuries they suffered in an accident by filing a personal injury claim. Although many different types of accidents can be cited in such claims, some of the most common include the following:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Every day in Dallas, motor vehicle accidents are caused by distracted, inebriated, or reckless drivers. Collisions involving a truck, bus, or motorcycle are often singularly destructive. When you’re injured in an accident, you deserve compensation from the insurance companies for what you’ve suffered.
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents – While visiting someone else’s Texas property, they owe you a duty of care. Often, a slip-and-fall is really the result of a property owner’s negligence. Filing a premises liability claim can help you recover damages for your injuries.
- Dog Bites – Just because dogs are man’s best friend, it doesn’t mean an aggressive or dangerous one can’t cause serious damages.
- Wrongful Death – Few things are as painful as losing a loved one to another’s negligence. Taking civil action can help you find a sense of closure, as well as help your family to offset the impact of their loss.
- Medical Malpractice – Most medical professionals execute their duties ethically and responsibly. When they fail to do so, they expose their patients to potentially serious consequences through medical malpractice. Filing a medical malpractice lawsuit for their negligence can hold them accountable for the injuries that result.
- Product Liability – Some products simply aren’t safe for public consumption or use. When you’ve been injured in an accident involving a product defect, parties involved in the manufacturing, distribution, sale, or other areas of a product can be held liable for civil damages.
- Sexual Abuse – Sadly, sexual abuse is often perpetrated by people in positions of authority or community trust. Whatever the nature of your abuse and the resulting impact on you, filing a claim can help ensure justice is done for the damage you suffered.
Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Claim
Filing a personal injury claim in Dallas against the at-fault party can allow you to recover both economic and non-economic damages related to your accident. Understanding the potential value of your damages with the help of our lawyers will ensure that any settlement offer you receive is fair and in line with the evidence.
For example, all present and future medical expenses related to your accident, such as hospital bills, ambulance fees, or physical therapy sessions should be calculated as a part of your settlement offer. Other damages that can be awarded to accident victims as compensation in personal injury cases include the following:
- Lost Earnings – When you miss work, or can’t return to work, after suffering an accident, the value of these lost wages or salary is considered. This is of utmost importance, because depending on the injuries, you might be out of work for years to come.
- Loss of Consortium – Personal injury can have an impact on your personal relationships, a reality that can be acknowledged in an accident settlement.
- Pain and Suffering – In some cases, pain and suffering is used as a multiplier on the value of your economic damages.
- Punitive Damages – These damages can be used to punish the defendant for exceedingly reckless or negligent acts. Our legal consultants can help you request them, but their award will ultimately be up to a judge or jury in court.
Evidence Required to Prove Fault in a Personal Injury Case
Receiving fair compensation for all damages requires a considerable amount of evidence a reliable attorney can use to build a strong claim. Unfortunately, your recollection of the facts won’t be enough to convince insurance companies. That’s why it’s recommended to collect evidence as soon as possible after someone else’s negligence causes an accident.
The at-fault party may present a different version of the story, and it’s not uncommon for adjusters to put the blame on you or accuse you of exaggerating the extent of your injuries. Keeping these steps in mind can increase your chances of winning.
Pictures and Video Recordings of the Accident
Evidence used to support an injury case is usually found at the scene of the accident and can be easily recorded through a smartphone’s camera. Taking pictures of your injuries, damaged property, and anything else that can be considered relevant can protect you from the insurance’s attempts at diminishing your claim’s value.
Video recordings can also be valuable and offer a clear picture of the circumstances of an accident. For example, if you’re involved in a car accident, a video that shows important details like the extent of damages to all vehicles, road debris, and weather conditions makes it easier to explain the situation to those who are looking to hurt your claim.
Accident Witness Statements
An observer’s account of the facts will help strengthen your claim, especially if they’re able to provide a comprehensive description of what happened at the scene of the accident. Statements from witnesses can be a key to success when you want to be compensated. That’s why it’s always a priority to collect their contact information.
Your attorney can also help you obtain expert testimony, which is usually released by a professional who has a significant amount of experience in a specific field. By providing their objective opinion, they can assist in demonstrating how your accident is linked to another’s negligent actions and how they’re negatively affecting your enjoyment of life.
Medical Records of Your Injuries
One of the many reasons why you should seek medical assistance after an accident that resulted in a personal injury is to obtain your medical records. This documentation accurately describes your injuries, your chances of recovery, and the treatment needed to make a full recovery, if possible.
It can be a deciding factor when insurers accuse you of suffering from a pre-existing condition, as a qualified injury lawyer can use the information gathered from a doctor to prevent your claim’s dismissal.
Injured? Let a Personal Injury Lawyer in Dallas Go to Work for You
When your accident leaves you with considerable injuries, you need the help of a Dallas personal injury lawyer with Chris Lewis & Associates P.C. Our lawyers are standing by and ready to help you get the compensation you need and deserve when you’ve suffered personal injuries in an accident caused by the negligence of other people.
Call 214-984-3113 or fill out the contact form below to request a free consultation. Our injury lawyers take care of their clients. With us, you’ll never wonder what’s happening with your case and be informed every step of the way. We’ve helped many accident victims just like you and know what they experience, so you can count on our lawyers to treat you right and uphold your rights.